Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Louis Vitton's Mario Kart, powered by Lexus

Video game ads work, study says - The Boston Globe:
Part of the reason is that video game advertising has evolved beyond a billboard ad on a screen. Now, companies can feature dynamic commercials and intertwine their brands into the story lines of games, such as a murder victim who was about to sign a contract with fashion designer Lacoste in the ''Law & Order: Justice is Served" game. Meanwhile, Bang & Olufsen will showcase its high-end electronics stores along with Swiss watchmaker TAG Heuer in Tycoon City: New York, an Atari game due early next year.
Good, I can finally get that sense of realism I've been looking for when checking the time in Tycoon City: New York. And I could never possibly play as Det. Ed Green if he's wearing anything less than a full LeCoste ensemble. Oh, wait, I don't care about any of that...because I'll never ever play those games. When will someone conduct a study that concludes that advertising is more effective when used in a good video game that people actually want to play?

2 Comments:

Blogger Q. Meyers said...

Great, now my video-game protagonists can be Tag-wearing assholes too.

But seriously, ads in video games go way back. Remember Kool-Aid man for atari? Okay, probably not. But remember the ads for Rygar in Tecmo Bowl?

7:31 PM  
Blogger ptm said...

I totally do remember those Rygar ads. And I know they continue with that tradition...there's a Tiger Woods 2005 ad along the tracks in Burnout 3.

But that makes sense...ads in video games for other video games. I don't want to hear about fucking high-end electronics or crappy fashion in my games. Those are unnecessary ads for unrelated merchandise. And they're in crappy games. Bah.

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home