Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Can you hear me now? Wait, I don't have a cell phone.


I was at the mall the other day with my family, and we were all, "I'll call you wife, and daughter you call mom, and mom, I'll call son." And we're all set to meet up when we're done shopping... but then I realize... there's a problem! I don't have a cell phone. Somehow, over the last, oh, eight years, it just slipped my mind. Then, get this, I realize, my family doesn't have cell phones either, and they're all "wait, I don't have a cell phone!"

It's fucking crazy!

We're at the mall, making plans to call one another to meet up when we're done shopping, when all of sudden we all realize NONE OF US OWN CELL PHONES! It's INSANE.

Two words.

CHRISTMAS GIFT!

Okay, in all seriousness, either you know the commercial I'm talking about, or you think I'm a babbling idiot--it's this verizon commercial where this family all realizes none of them have cell phones. And it's fucking dumb.

Who can relate to this? Who the hell doesn't have a cell phone yet? And if you don't it's either because you can't afford one--in which case this commercial is irrelevant, or because you're intentionally not getting one--in which case this obnoxious family isn't doing anything to convince you.

2 Comments:

Blogger ptm said...

I think the ad is aimed at families that maybe have one cell phone for all four standard-issue members (dad, mom, son, daughter). When, really, everyone should have their own, because calling people on their cell has replaced the eyeball as the easiest way to see where someone else is.

The ad really missed the chance to be somewhat humorous. Since everyone in this family is either retarded or delusional, they should have carried it out to its logical conclusion: they all split up, and when time comes they all find comical ways of "calling" each other. The mom wanders the mall trying to find a payphone until she collapses of dehydration, the dad steals a security guard's walkie talkie and gets beaten for it, the daughter starts hitting on a 23 year old date rapist so he'll let her use his phone (with hilariously uncomfortable reults), and the son tries to use smoke signals and ends up burning the mall to the ground. Verizon: for your family's sake.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to the actress is playing the mom. Anyone know?

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home